Places - GrambsPhoto

Places

Portland Head Light has been a beacon at Cape Elizabeth in Maine since 1791. The original tower measured 72' from base to lantern deck and was lit with 16 whale oil lamps. The current keeper's quarters dates to 1891 and is the third such building on the site. It housed two families until the lighthouse was automated in 1989 and is now a museum.